Ultimate Fish Croquettes recipe
If you are looking for the ultimate fish croquettes recipe look no further. Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside it’s the best fish croquettes I’ve ever eaten!
Fish Croquettes, fishcakes, fish patties or fish balls?
We love fish in my family and this is a recipe I developed together with my mother after we have been experimenting with fish croquettes many times. We make it very often because it’s delicious, nutritious, and very aromatic!
When you will be making this recipe your kitchen will have a very beautiful smell of freshness like the morning breeze because of the herbs.
Furthermore, it is a perfect recipe to introduce fish to your kids because they look like golden cheese balls on the outside and that might convince them to at least take a bite! Once they take a bite that is all it takes to keep eating them and enjoy these delicious fish croquettes.
This delicious and nutritious appetizer which in my country we call fish croquettes has different names in other countries. You might see them mentioned as fishcakes, fish patties, or fish balls depending on where you live.
I can go on and on about how delicious these are but I think I should get started with the recipe!
How to make the ultimate fish croquettes?
This is a simple assemble all ingredients in a bowl recipe but there are a few things that you should take notice of.
- Do not try to roll them into perfect balls. Try to shape them with the palms of your hands instead.
- The amount of flour and/or bread crumbs can be increased or reduced depending on your mixture. If you can give shape to your fish croquettes then no need to add any more. If they crumble easily then you should add 1 Tbsp flour at a time.
After you add all the ingredients to your bowl, mix them, then cover them with plastic wrap and place them in the fridge for 30 minutes. That will help develop flavor and give firmness to the mixture.
What type of fish can we use for fish croquettes?
Any fish without a lot of bones is good for this recipe. I often use Hake, unsalted Cod, or Red Snapper. Frozen or Fresh anything goes!
What goes with fish croquettes?
Salad of your choosing, French fries, and a mayo-based sauce are good additions to enjoy your fish croquettes.
Ultimate Fish Croquettes recipe
- 1 kg (35oz) Fish fillet deboned
- 2 Onions, very finely cut
- 2 Carrots, grated
- 2 Tbsp Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose Flour
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 5 Cloves of garlic, crushed
- 7-8 fresh spearmint leaves, finely cut
- 1 pinch of dry spearmint
- 1 small pinch of oregano
- A pinch of Salt and Pepper
Ingredients for pan frying:
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for the pan
- Gut the fish and put it in a pot of boiling water and let it boil with an open lid for 5 minutes.
- Debone the fish and put it in a large bowl.
- Prepare all the ingredients as I write in the instructions above, add them to the bowl with the fish, and mix well until you get a soft but pliable mixture.
- Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Shape them into round croquettes and dip them first in the eggs and then in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in vegetable oil over medium fire until golden brown. (About 30 sec each side)
- To have 1 kg of cleaned fish you will have to buy more than a kilo. I would estimate around 1.200kg.